My big boy doesn't get sick often, but when he does, he falls hard. Or maybe he does get crook but he has a high pain threshold. He woke up yesterday morning for school and couldn't eat his brekky so I knew something was up. He's had the past two days off school and he went to the doctor today and we've been told he has a mastoid infection. Thats the bone right behind our ears. I'm not sure how he got it so of course I googled (damn you doctor google) and it looks like the most common cause is an untreated middle ear infection spreading to the mastoid bone. Mother of the year.. not. He's got antibiotics and pain killers. His fever seems to have gone now but the swelling is so obvious. He was one of those boys who was born with nice little ears. At the moment one of them is sticking out. Check this photo out. And the one below shows how red it is.
It makes me feel better seeing him being able to stay upright and actually asking for food (and being able to manage some humour). The last day and half he has hardly eaten anything. He missed out on his student leader presentation at school today and tomorrow he'll miss out on a canoo-ing adventure he's been looking forward to for weeks. He was supposed to go to his dad's tomorrow but he'll be staying with me for the weekend. His dad is cool like that.
So it will be a quiet weekend with just the two of us. Jason is off to Ballina to see his Grandad. I was going too but I can't leave my big boy.
xx

3 comments:
Hope he feels better soon!
That ear looks painful.
Hi Shelley,
Oh, that looks very painful - poor Zak. Hope he starts to feel better soon.
http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/
Oh gosh! That is alot of swelling!
Poor Zak :( That looks very painful.
Sorry to hear he missed his presentation and canoeing adventure.
I hope he feels better soon!
Post a Comment